Anchored


We set anchor for the night off South Georgia Island in anticipation of going to shore tomorrow.  At halftime of the National Championship game I went out on the back deck.  We arrived at night so I know little about the landscape but the noises were incredible.  I can see outlines of the hills and mountains a half mile or so away and there was low roar of chatter coming from them.  I can only assume it is a penguin colony of thousands of pairs of King Penguins.  Occasionally it would build and it would sound like voices, like somebody screaming.  I could also hear animals swimming right by the boat.  They made no noise except for paddling and breathing, so I think they were seals.  They seemed to come in sizes from a few feet to ten feet and a hundred must have passed by in the ten minutes or so I was out there.  At least those guys aren't worried about the game.

Comments

heymeg said…
I bet that was a welcome distraction! :(. Sounds amazing, can't wait to see pics of all of these creatures!!
donnadaye said…
Now the really fun part! Hopimg you get really close to the wilfd life.