There's a NEW Mexico?



Carlsbad, NM

Spent the day at Carlsbad Caverns yesterday exploring the caverns 800 feet below the ground. The we had dinner in the parking lot and at dusk sat by the mouth of the cave until half a million bats or so flew out of the cave on their way to get some dinner. I think it took about an hour for all the bats to get out of there. It was quite a sight, and sound, and smell. We camped at Brantley State Park and got a much needed refresh of our water supply and emptying of our gray water. Lisa didn't mind having the AC either, although it was cool last night.

It's nice to be back in the desert. I spent awhile goofing off with my camera and binoculars again. It's amazing what you can pick out under dark skies with only binoculars. I could see the moons of jupiter, the globular cluster m13 and various open clusters that I don't know the names of

Comments

donnadaye said…
O.K. So it is pretty amazing how one person's adventure is another person's nightmare....and those two people are very closely related. I can not even imagine sitting at the mouth of that cave while millions of bats fly over my head. I can see how someone else might find it very interesting. Not really. LOL. So glad you are having fun.