Headin' Out





We've been hanging around St. George for about a week now. We spent some time in Zion National Park, saw some nearby petroglyphs at Little Black Mountain and saw 'War of the Worlds' (which pretty much rocked--Zach was more scared than I have ever seen him.). Mostly we got to hang out out with most of Lisa's family for a week, which was nice.

I got the chance to work on Betty a bit. Replaced the spark plugs and fuel filter and re-adjusted the parking brake. We found a perfect chunk of sandstone for under the tire so the parking brake isn't as necesary now. Oh, and I got a spare tire. Some might say frivolous on an 8,000 mile journey, I say you can't be too careful. The electrical system stopped charging somewhere around Salt Lake and I traced the problem to a soleniod mounted inside the fender wall (I think). It's supposed to only let the deep cycle battery charge when the truck is running (I think). I went to Autozone and told the guy that I needed a new solenoid for a camper. He looked at me funny and said that he had them for Ford trucks so I asked to see it. It seemed to be for 12 V and had only slightly more terminals than the original so I bought it for $9.99. My brother-in-law helped me mount it and it worked!. The Game Cube will be played once again. Oh Joyous Day!

Today we are headed out. I think we will travel north and camp and hike at either Bryce Canyon or Capitol Reef. Of the two I've spent more time at Capitol Reef and Bryce is at higher elevation so I'm leaning towards Bryce. On the other hand, Capitol Reef has a shadier campground with the Fremont River flowing nearby. As usual, we never really know until we get there. Then it's on to Chaco Canyon in New Mexico, I think.

Comments